Madrid's 10 Most Beautiful Surrounding Towns
One of the best things about living in Madrid is that you can easily escape the city center to enjoy wonderful day-trips and weekend getaways. By car or public transport, you can get to Madrid’s beautiful surrounding towns where you’ll find some of the world’s oldest universities, cathedrals, monasteries and historic monuments. You can also find natural swimming pools, mountains, hiking trails and other adventure activities.
So here’s a list of the most must-see towns near Madrid, plus a few things you should know about each one. You can also click on each town below or our category link “How to get to” for a more in-depth post on each place on this list, as well as all the different ways to get there.
- Alcalá de Henares: free tapas and Cervantes’ home
- Aranjuez: royal gardens and palace
- Avila: old surrounding wall from medieval times
- Buitrago de Lozoya: castle and large reservoir
- Cercedilla: mountains great for hiking, biking, swimming (natural pool) and other adventure activities
- Cuenca: hanging houses and lamb
- El Escorial: monastery
- Rascafría: nature, restaurant El Paular
- Segovia: Roman aqueduct, cochinillo (suckling pig) and a nearby town called La Granja
- Toledo: where three cultures lived in harmony for centuries (Jewish, Christian and Muslim)